Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hanging Paper Lanterns



For my wedding last year, I hung huge paper lanterns ranging from 18"-3o" from the ceiling of the banquet room. I've received numerous emails asking me how I hung those bad boys.

The main issue with hanging anything at a venue is you can't use holes, can't leave any marks behind, etc. Generally, tape also is not strong enough. Fortunately I figured out a way to hang them safely without leaving a mess.

What you need:
  • Your lanterns (obviously)

  • Fishing wire (strong enough to hold whatever size lanterns you have.)

  • 3m command hooks (once again, make sure they are strong enough) They have multiple selections. I bought a variety of hooks based on the size of my lantern. They sell some of the smaller hooks in packs.

  • Battery operated lights (optional)
What you basically do is hang the hook upside down on the ceiling where you want the lantern placed. The beauty of the 3m command hooks is that they come off cleanly (I'm sure you've seen the commercials for these during the holidays). Make sure you hang the lights inside the lanterns before you hang them =). After you have all the lights in there, tie the fishing wire to the lanterns and to the hook, and viola!


Tips
:
  • If you are in a larger room, larger lanterns will make a grander impression. You could also get a lot of little ones (and I mean a lot) of smaller sized lanterns enough to fill up the space for also a nice effect.
  • Try getting lanterns in different shades of color for depth. For mine, I chose purple, lavender, and cream.
  • You could also get multiple sizes and hang them at different heights for more dimension.
  • If you don't want to spend that much money on lighting every single lantern, lighting some of them also gives it a nice effect.
Hope that helps everyone! Would love to see how it turns out for you!

DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves

No comments:

Post a Comment