Friday, March 20, 2009

Growing wheat grass

With images like this of wheat grass beautifully displayed, how could you not want to use this at your wedding.

I was curious one day and wanted to see if I could grow my own wheat grass.. so a dear friend lovingly gave me some wheat grass seeds to start my little wheat grass garden. The only problem was.. I never grew anything in my life AND I have managed to kill every living plant given to me. So you can see why I was concerned.

I ended up doing some research and here is what I found:
  • You can't just start planting your wheat grass seeds, you actually need to soak the seeds for about 12 hours or so.
  • After the 12 hours of soaking, you drained and let the seeds lay dry onto a towel and let them sit for another 12 hours.



  • Great thing about wheat grass is that it does not need very good soil to grow. Sprinkle the seeds wherever you like. I decided to make little pots of wheat grass to experiment. I bought some ready to go soil and put it in a pot then I sprinkled my seeds over it.



  • Keep seeds moist and in indirect sunlight inside. Within 7-10 days we should have some wheat grass. Hopefully!



I started this project this past Wednesday. Let's reevaluate next Wednesday to see if it worked!

DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves

1 comment:

  1. Such pretty wedding photos! The wheatgrass makes everything look so fresh and spring-y!

    ReplyDelete